500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Marymount offers an option to pursue teaching licensure for History and Social Science. You also have the opportunity to minor in Public History, study abroad, and participate in internships and research in areas of special interest. The requirements of the major are deliberately flexible to accommodate a variety of options within the discipline and with other fields of study.
By the end of their senior year, history majors have developed the skills to:
- Investigate problems
- Analyze information
- Identify reliable sources
- Contextualize complex questions
- Communicate conclusions in a clear and thoughtful manner
More specifically, history majors will be able to successfully:
- Demonstrate the capacity to understand and communicate the complex nature of the historical record using specific examples
- Demonstrate the ability to view past events and interpretations from a range of viewpoints
- Demonstrate the ability to analyze and evaluate conflicting historical narratives
- Demonstrate the ability to ask meaningful questions, develop a working thesis, identify and analyze primary and secondary sources, use evidence to test and revise a thesis, and communicate one's findings through written and oral presentations
- Demonstrate the capacity for critical reading and analysis using historiographical thinking